Our Congregation's History
This congregation began in 1953 as a Unitarian fellowship, officially becoming a church in 1959. A congregational split in 1962 resulted in the formation of a second church. The churches reunited in 1968. After a year and a half without a minister, Rev. Fred Keip was hired as minister in 1971. In 1973, his wife, Margaret, began her study for the ministry. In 1976, their co-ministry began as one full-time position, equally shared.
For the first 25 years of their existence, the congregation met in many and varied locations. In 1978, the congregation began construction on our present site. After 10 months of construction, including much volunteer labor from congregation members, the congregation moved into the first church of their own in 1979.
The Keips served the congregation for 25 years, leaving to become full-time interim ministers. Following the departure of the Keips, our next full time ministers were The Rev. Beth Miller, Senior Minister, and The Rev. Forrest Gilmore, Associate Minister. In May 2006, Rev. Miller left for a position with the Unitarian Universalist Association. Rev. Gilmore moved on to a senior minister position in Princeton, New Jersey.
The Rev. Greg Ward began serving as our Senior Minister in August 2007. Rev. Greg served until August 2012 and has since become an interim minister in Virginia. Carol Bodeau came in as our Director of Religious Education and Membership (DREaM) in the fall of 2009. After completing her requirements for ministry and becoming ordained in September 2010, Rev. Carol became our Assistant Minister of Religious Education and Programs (MREaP). In August 2012, Carol moved with her family to Tennessee.
The Rev. John Buehrens, formerly of Needham, MA, served as our interim minister from August 2012 until July 2014.
The Rev. Dennis Hamilton, formerly the Senior Minister at Horizon UU Church, Carrollton, TX, served as our interim minister from August 2014 to July 2015.
Aaron Joseph became our Director of Religious Exploration (DRE) in August of 2016.
The Revs. Elaine and Axel Gehrmann, formerly of Urbana, Illinois, began serving as our co-ministers in August, 2015.